[Mimedefang] This mail's for you... NOT!

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Fri Mar 4 16:50:13 EST 2005

Shively, Michael @ FRE wrote:

> I find messages in my outgoing queue for sendmail but the messages are
> addresses to other domains. Luckily I decided to use my Exchange Server as
> the Outgoing mail server and I configured my 3rd party firewall to deny the
> Fedora box access to port 25 outgoing.

Don't do that.  The Fedora box needs access to port 25 outgoing for reliably
operation.

What you are probably seeing is outgoing bounce messages after Exchange
rejects mail.  (If Exchange rejects with a 5xx code, then the Fedora box
is responsible for generating and sending a failure notification.)

> So, I am FaIrLy CeRtAiN that I am not being used as a relay.

Make darn sure by checking your Sendmail access table.

> How do I prevent my Fedora box from accepting mail for other domains?

Read up on the Sendmail access DB.

> Most of the spam messages that I receive are addresses to non-existing
> users... Mailing list I guess...  Can I setup a way to accept mail for only
> a list of e-mail addresses?

Yes, there are a number of ways to do this.  Search the list archives
for "md_check_against_smtp_server"