[Mimedefang] Anti-virus software

Sven Schuster schuster.sven at gmx.de
Thu Mar 3 12:31:04 EST 2005

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 08:34:36AM -0500, WBrown at e1b.org told us:
> I know that they log warings if you are running an out of date version,
> but the only time I am ceratin they cut old versions off was when they
> went to the new model of checking for updates via DNS TXT records instead
> of HTTP connections.  They let it slide for a while, then announced a
> cutoff date after which old clients would be refused to force the issue.
> One of the big commercial vendors recently did the same thing, I forget
> which one.

I can remember quite some time ago uvscan on our mail servers stopped
working because McAffe seemed to have changed the format of their
dat files. It turned out that there was a newer version of the scanning
engine available. Now we check the available engine version from time
to time to avoid such things in the future :-)
(Yes I know about uvscan but we want to avoid "automatic" updates on
critical mail servers, so we download the new engine and install it
at first on some less loaded mailservers and then, when all goes
well, update on the others, too)

Sven