[Mimedefang] Anti-virus software

Scott Plumlee scott at plumlee.org
Wed Mar 2 09:01:26 EST 2005

Rob MacGregor wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 21:25:06 GMT, Mark <admin at asarian-host.net> wrote:
>
>>ClamAV, which I am now testing, works as advertised. But I read
>>you get a "ClamAV installation is OUTDATED" message whenever
>>the update program decides you need a newer version.
>

> Probably because they've still not hit a 1.0 release yet and it's very
> heavily in development.  It'll still work if you don't upgrade, you
> just don't get the new signatures.
>

>>This will run on a production server; I cannot halt things every
>>week to upgrade clamav.
>

> No need to halt things, though my general position is that running
> development releases of software on a production system should, where
> possible, be avoided.

I've been running ClamAV for the past 3 versions (.80 to .83) for
serveral months on a small server with about 25 users.  The upgrade
process is somewhat of a pain, as it seems to be fairly frequent, and
you will get that message that you are outdated when a new release comes
out.  However, to get the level of protection that it's supplying is
worth it.  Previously, we'd get about 10 virii a day.  Since installing,
maybe one a month.  To make sure that new virii aren't getting by, I
don't mind upgrading.  The upgrade is pretty straightforward each time
and takes me about 15 minutes now.

Bottom line, IMHO, beats the pants of the Symantec AV Enterprise that I
run as well.  Easier to administrate, does the job better, and it's free.

--

Scott Plumlee
PGP Public key: http://plumlee.org/pgp/