[Mimedefang] Anti-virus software

Rob MacGregor rob.macgregor at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 02:07:04 EST 2005

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 21:25:06 GMT, Mark <admin at asarian-host.net> wrote:

> ClamAV, which I am now testing, works as advertised. But I read
> you get a "ClamAV installation is OUTDATED" message whenever
> the update program decides you need a newer version.

Probably because they've still not hit a 1.0 release yet and it's very
heavily in development.  It'll still work if you don't upgrade, you
just don't get the new signatures.

> This will run on a production server; I cannot halt things every
> week to upgrade clamav.

No need to halt things, though my general position is that running
development releases of software on a production system should, where
possible, be avoided.

F-Prot, as mentioned is pretty good, newer versions of AVP (Kaspersky)
are also pretty good (I'm still running 4.x at home, and it still
updates with new signatures).

--
                 Please keep list traffic on the list.
Rob MacGregor