[Mimedefang] ClamAV's Worm/Trojan/Joke/W97M classifications

Chris Gauch cgauch at digicon.net
Wed Jun 29 12:20:12 EDT 2005

I tend to avoid outright rejecting viruses because it just generates more
unnecessary traffic and we don't particularly like dealing with the numerous
rejections ourselves, and do our best to outright block/reject all of the
"bogus virus warnings" sent from other MX hosts (thanks to all of the
spoofing that goes on with virus-generated emails on infected, zombie PCs
external to any of our networks).

During the SOBER outbreak about a month ago, the mail volume on our gateway
cluster sky-rocketed because of the number of bounces sent to clients behind
our MIMEDefang (CanIt-PRO) mail gateway.  Zombie PCs were sending out virus
attachments all over the place spoofing domains that we host, resulting in
all the bounces coming back to us.  It was a real thorn in our side, so
that's basically my $0.02 on rejecting virus-infected mail messages.  We
just discard the messages and don't bother with them (as 90% or more of the
infected emails were sent from zombie PCs, and not MX hosts anyway).

- Chris

Chris Gauch
Systems Administrator
Digicon Communications, Inc.