[Mimedefang] ClamAV's Worm/Trojan/Joke/W97M classifications

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Wed Jun 29 12:39:52 EDT 2005

mimedefang-bounces at lists.roaringpenguin.com wrote on 06/29/2005 12:20:12
PM:

> I tend to avoid outright rejecting viruses because it just generates
more
> unnecessary traffic and we don't particularly like dealing with the
numerous
> rejections ourselves, and do our best to outright block/reject all of
the
> "bogus virus warnings" sent from other MX hosts (thanks to all of the
> spoofing that goes on with virus-generated emails on infected, zombie
PCs
> external to any of our networks).

There's a difference between bogus virus warnings sent to the alleged (and
probably forged) original sender by "helpful" anti-virus software and
virus bounces.  How do you stop the NDNs for virus messages to nonexistant
users vs NDN because the user can't tell the difference between 1 and l?
I've seen our domain mangled by that confusion many times.

El Borg -- sounds like some sort of collective.

Resistance is futile!