[Mimedefang] ClamAV's Worm/Trojan/Joke/W97M classifications

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Wed Jun 29 11:53:19 EDT 2005

mimedefang-bounces at lists.roaringpenguin.com wrote on 06/29/2005 11:19:24
AM:

> Where it really makes a difference is false-positives.  Silent drop
> is lost data (the sender thinks it was delivered, the recipient
> doesn't get it.)  550 reject at least lets the sender know that the
> receiving MTA is under the impression that the mail is a virus.

That was one other consideration when I went with 550 reject for viruses.
But in a year and a half of running MIMEDefang (CanIt Pro) with ClamAV, I
have not had one complaint of a false positive virus.  I've only had two
questions about blocking unsafe extensions, one of which the sender
thought he was sending a Word DOC file when it turned out to be a URL
extension.