[Mimedefang] HELP! Can no longer receive/send email after kernelupgrade

Ole Craig olc at cs.umass.edu
Fri Jun 17 12:12:07 EDT 2005

On 06/17/05 at 08:55, 'twas brillig and Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com scrobe:
> Sylvain Gagnon wrote:
> > I need help urgently, our unix admin is away for the weekend and just
> > before leaving yesterday, he upgraded the mail server OS to Debian 3.1
> > Since then, no email is able to go through the mail server :-(

	Matthew's suggestion was the first thing I thought of too, but
he expressed it more elegantly than I (no surprise there) so I've. I
just wanted to add: any admin worth his ssh keys should know better
than to upgrade a critical server on Friday afternoon, or (worse yet)
just prior to a planned vacation period.

	At a prior place of employment that was grounds for serious
repercussions. I believe the phrase shared amongst us *nix admins was
something akin to "Do that again and we'll slam your wabblies in a
door." (And that was when the upgrade didn't cause any problems!)

		Ole
--
Ole Craig * UNIX, linux, SMTP-fu; news, web; SGI martyr * admin-at-large

   Need a seasoned *NIX admin in the Denver/Boulder area? Hire me!
        http://www.cs.umass.edu/~olc/pub/olc-resume.txt