[Mimedefang] Reject Spam instead of tag it

James Ebright jebright at esisnet.com
Thu Jul 14 12:56:21 EDT 2005

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:30:12 -0400, Jamie Pratt wrote

> Personally, I think the IETF, or *whoever* it was  who
> writes/maintains
> (???) the RFC's were/are a bit too opinionated - every site is
> totally different these days, and has different policies on
> everything, so by nature they will never be followed the same by all
> sites..)

They are not opinionated, they are defining a standard. Standards are a good
thing... without standards interoperability on the scale of the Internet would
be nigh impossible.

However, I do think it is about time to revise the RFC regarding SMTP to
account for spam, mail viri, etc as it does not really consider those
scenarios whatsoever. The date on the last RFC is April 2001 which is right
about the time spam jumped the line from a nuisance to a real issue for many
providers, not to mention the time it takes to push something through any
organization like the IEFT is significant; this RFC was probably originally
drafted before spam was even a nuisance.

Jim

--
EsisNet.com Webmail Client