[Mimedefang] Mimedefang and clamd configuration problems

Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com
Wed Dec 21 12:03:18 EST 2005

jmorin wrote:
> I've got mimedefang running with spamassassin and identifying spam, no
> problem.
>
> I want to have mimedefang also use clamd ( or clamav, whichever is
> best).

I had a permissions problem initially where the clamd user didn't have access to the MIMEDefang spool directory.

What I did was added the clamd user to the defang group, then chmod'd the spool directory to 750 so that the defang group could read and execute.  (Is 750 necessary or would 640 suffice?)

You might also consider clamav-milter.  If you run a high-traffic server then you might run into memory problems.  Running the two milters:
	clamav-milter
	mimedefang
in that order can save a lot of memory during a virus storm, because you won't need as many mimedefang threads (and each one's associated Mail::SpamAssassin object)

--
Matthew.van.Eerde (at) hbinc.com               805.964.4554 x902
Hispanic Business Inc./HireDiversity.com       Software Engineer