[Mimedefang] reject without creating a reject message

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue Aug 30 15:13:40 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 13:23, Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com wrote:

> I am one of the "some" -- false positives will drop into the black hole
> of nothingness.

As you will prefer if your address is ever forged as the sender on
thousands/millions of virus or spam-bot messages.

> But this is a religious war with credible people on both sides so feel free
> to make whatever decision is best for your setup.

I think the distinction between sides is whether or not your own address
has been abused (yet...).  But, I was wondering if it would make sense
to look at the number of Received: lines.  If yours is the first - or
maybe it hasn't been added yet when MimeDefang sends it - it should
always be reasonable to reject with a 5xx code since in this case you
are talking directly to the submitter. If an intermediate relay has
added a Received: header then a 5xx for a virus is almost certainly
going to cause the wrong thing to happen.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com