[Mimedefang] roaringpenguin.com is listed in rfc-ignorant

Rolf rolf at ses.tas.gov.au
Tue Sep 28 22:07:55 EDT 2004

hello

I've arrived at this thread a bit late.

On 29/09/2004, at 11:00 AM, David F. Skoll wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, Fernando Gleiser wrote:
>
>>     If the publicly listed MX record for domain refuses to accept
>> mail with
>> a originator given as <>, then the domain will be considered a viable
>> candidate for inclusion in the zone.
>
> My domain accepts mail from <>.  Just not for postmaster.  We never
> send out mail from <postmaster at roaringpenguin.com>; there's no reason
> to expect a DSN for that address.
>
> I defy anyone to show me an RFC that says an SMTP implementation
> MUST accept mail from <> to <postmaster at ...>

I had a problem recently where email with a return receipt request set
arrived here. sendmail duly acknowledged that request.  However the
mail server at the other end rejected the receipt notification. I spoke
to the network admin there and explained that as far as I know you need
to accept an envelope sender of <> for exactly the circumstances of
return receipts and so on. I found section 6.1 of
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3461.txt?number=3461 and partly related was
section 5.3.3 of http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1123.txt?number=1123 Seemed
to confirm my thoughts.

have I handed out incorrect advice to someone in respect of the
envelope <> address?

regards

rolf.