[Mimedefang] roaringpenguin.com is listed in rfc-ignorant

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Tue Sep 28 23:47:54 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 20:00, David F. Skoll wrote:
> I defy anyone to show me an RFC that says an SMTP implementation
> MUST accept mail from <> to <postmaster at ...>

From my e-mails to the admin of rfc-ignorant.org, I believe the stance
is that "postmaster" (case-insensitive with or without the domain) must
accept mail from anyone. The basis cited for this is RFC 2821,
specifically section 4.5.1:

   SMTP systems are expected to make every reasonable effort to accept
   mail directed to Postmaster from any other system on the Internet.
   In extreme cases --such as to contain a denial of service attack or
   other breach of security-- an SMTP server may block mail directed to
   Postmaster.  However, such arrangements SHOULD be narrowly tailored
   so as to avoid blocking messages which are not part of such attacks.

I said DSNs were the *most common* (emphasis added here so the quote
below makes sense) usage of the null sender and I speculated that you
(David) did not send mail from postmaster, and thus had no reason to
expect DSNs for that address. I imagine you put the block in place to
stop bounces from joe jobs. The rfc-ignorant.org admin said:

   "most common" != "only".

Richard Laager