[Mimedefang] Revised Spam Rule for Bad AOL Addresses

Damrose, Mark mdamrose at elgin.edu
Mon May 10 10:50:48 EDT 2004

I was looking at the other message and wondering.
Kelson's filter needed to remove the angle brackets because
he was testing the envelope sender via MD.  You are testing
the From: header.

I haven't ever seen a valid AOL From: header in the form of
From: "User Name" <username (at) aol.com>
They have always been
From: username (at) aol.com

So your original test may be OK.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't have a huge sample
of valid AOL mail to verify this.

Also, this may change, as I understand that AOL now allows
subscribers to use arbitrary e-mail clients to use their SMTP
relay servers.  All the AOL subscribers I've conversed with
used the AOL e-mail client.

Perhaps:
header __KAM_GOODAOL From =~ /[a-z][a-z0-9]{2,15}\@aol\.com\>?$/i
describe __KAM_GOODAOL Partial Rule: Marks Bad AOL Addresses
nit:  this rule marks *good* AOL addresses.