[Mimedefang] Revised Spam Rule for Bad AOL Addresses

Kevin A. McGrail kmcgrail at pccc.com
Sat May 8 10:49:53 EDT 2004

After looking at the results this morning, I realized that Kelson's filter
was stripping angle brackets.  Therefore, his test could match beginning and
end-of-line efficiently and so I have modified the test below to remove the
previous end of line check in the regexp's.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as I believe I'm really close on the
rule but not perhaps 100%.

Once again, posted at
http://www.peregrinehw.com/downloads/SpamAssassin/contrib/KAM.cf since
wordwrapping will make the posted version difficult to use.

# Rule based on Kelson Vibber's MD code for bogus AOL Addresses
# Check for bogus AOL addresses as described at
# http://postmaster.aol.com/faq/mailerfaq.html#syntax
# - all alphanumeric, starting with a letter, from 3 to 16 characters long.
header          __KAM_AOL               From =~ /\@aol.com/i
describe        __KAM_AOL               Partial Rule: Marks AOL Addresses
header          __KAM_GOODAOL           From =~
/[a-z][a-z0-9]{2,15}\@aol.com/i
describe        __KAM_GOODAOL           Partial Rule: Marks Bad AOL
Addresses
meta            KAM_COMBO_BADAOL        __KAM_AOL && !(__KAM_GOODAOL)
describe        KAM_COMBO_BADAOL        From: Invalid AOL Email Address.
High probability of spam.
score           KAM_COMBO_BADAOL        3.0

Regards,
KAM