[Mimedefang] email wire tap

Matthew Schumacher matt.s at aptalaska.net
Mon Mar 15 15:38:03 EST 2004

David F. Skoll wrote:
> Both of these can be done by setting up an "archive" account that uses procmail
> or something similar to do the archiving.  Then it's just a matter of:
>
> 	if (the_right_conditions_are_met()) {
> 		add_recipient('archive-bot at mydomain.net');
> 	}

This was an issue at my place of work so this is how I got around it:

# archive messages from domain.com
:0
* FROM ?? domain.com
{
   :0 c
   /var/mail/archive/$DATE-$FROM
}

# archive messages to domain.com
:0
* TO ?? domain.com
{
   :0 c
   /var/mail/archive/$DATE-$TO
}

This will break out the archive to each employee on each day.  Every
night I compress and gpg encrypt the messages.  If something happens and
someone needs to read some mail they must request the messages from one
person and the public key from another.  This keeps people from spying
and insures a legit reason when looking though email.

David, not only is this legal in the US, but after Enron, the courts
encourage it!!  Pretty lame if you ask me, but such is life.

schu