[Mimedefang] email wire tap

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Mon Mar 15 15:17:03 EST 2004

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, Charles Mount wrote:

> I have two similar needs for sending mail to an additional recipient.
> Our security department has asked for the ability to have a copy of all
> mail to/from a given single address or entire domain  sent to a security
> mailbox in addition to the original destination.  The equivalent of an
> email wire tap
> I would also like to be able keep a copy of all mail received for a brief
> period of time to hand sort for initial Bayes training.

Both of these can be done by setting up an "archive" account that uses procmail
or something similar to do the archiving.  Then it's just a matter of:

	if (the_right_conditions_are_met()) {
		add_recipient('archive-bot at mydomain.net');
	}

As far as the e-mail wiretap usage goes, you'd best check with your
legal department first before implementing something like this.  It's
probably legal in the US, but it may be illegal in some other countries
to tap an employee's mail without his knowledge and/or consent.