[Mimedefang] Server swamped after upgrading to 2.39 and Spamassassin 2.63

Lucas Albers admin at cs.montana.edu
Thu Mar 4 13:40:59 EST 2004

See my post on some timeouts for sendmail.
http://lists.roaringpenguin.com/pipermail/mimedefang/2004-February/020462.html

Turn up loggin in sendmail to determine problem in sendmail/mimedefang.
define(`confLOG_LEVEL',`26')dnl
Turn on reject unknown recipients like such:

define(`confBAD_RCPT_THROTTLE',`2')dnl limit spammers from trolling for
users on the system.

Verify you bayes database upgraded correctly.
Do a rebuild on your bayes database if you have one.
sa-learn -D --rebuild

Wayne Hahn said:
> Hello all,
>
> I upgraded my relay mail server from mimedefang 2.34 to 2.39. I also
> upgraded spamassassin from 2.50 to 2.63. Now my server is swamped it seems
> like I am having connections just hang onto my server. I use to have 40 to
> 75 sendmail connections open at one time now I have 125 to 150
> connections.
> I am running FreeBSD 4.6 and sendmail 8.12.5. Has anyone else notice a
> greater load when upgrading to 2.63. How do shorten timeout on sendmail
> and
> what would be a safe value ? Also can I drop the sendmail connection after
> certain number of unknown accounts from  filter_recipient ?  Any advice
> would be greatly appreciated I just don't known where to start.
>
> Wayne Hahn

Luke Computer Science System Administrator
Security Administrator,College of Engineering
Montana State University-Bozeman,Montana