[Mimedefang] Viruses getting passed clamd but can be detected with clamscan manually???

David Erickson erickson+mimedefang at mddsg.com
Thu Mar 4 01:03:29 EST 2004

I've been getting one of the latest email viruses that have been passing
around hitting my server.  The weird thing is it seems to be detected as a
virus only some of the time.  The subject is always something similiar to
"Warning about your e-mail account".  I found that even though the virus
scan runs during the mail being processed by mimedefang.  It doesn't
detect it as a virus or spam so it gets delivered as normal email.  When I
run a clamscan which uses the same virus definitions as clamd it detects
it as a file with a virus signature in it.  Any ideas what's going on
there?  In the meantime I've quarantined anything with that similar
subject but I'd like to find out if im missing other viruses cause of
something intermittant.

Anyone else seeing something like this?

Dave Erickson
erickson at mddsg.com