[Mimedefang] clamav + spamassassin + virtual-domains for 500.000 mails a day

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu Jun 17 08:44:21 EDT 2004

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, Florian Meister wrote:

> With MIME-defang it should be possible to use spamassassin and
> clamav over the same sendmail-milter-interface. Is it also possible to
> check for spam in every mail (excluding a few trusted networks), and
> to check for viruses only in a few domains (or to-addresses) ?

Yes.  You just write the Perl code.

> Is it possible to implement a LDAP-interface ?

Yes.  You just write the Perl code (perhaps you see a pattern in my
answers. :-))

> How fast, performant and stable is mimedefang. I have problems with
> spamass-milter, it crashes every week.

MIMEDefang is extremely stable.  We have customers using our commercial
CanIt software (based on MIMEDefang) with uptimes of over 200 days.

MIMEDefang is a fairly decent performer.  With SpamAssassin scanning
and Clam virus-scanning, a dual Xeon at 2.4GHz with 2GB of memory
should easily handle 500 000 to 600 000 messages/day.