[Mimedefang] clamav + spamassassin + virtual-domains for 500.000 mails a day

Martin Blapp mb at imp.ch
Thu Jun 17 05:08:49 EDT 2004

Hi,

> We are using 4 mailservers (FreeeBSD 4.7 - 5.2 xeon 2x2GHz, 1GB RAM)
> and one spamserver with the same configuration. On every machine
> FreeBSD 4.7 - 5.2 is installed, depending of the age of the machine.
> On the mailservers sendmail with libmilter, spamass-milter and spamc
> is installed. On the spamserver there is a spamd running which gets
> the requests of the mailservers.

For clamav you should switch to FreeBSD 5.X. Clamav is more stable there
(with kernel threads). We had it crashing often on FreeBSD 4.9 ...

> The problem: I haven't found a milter-interface that can do something like a pattern-matching
> for the to-address to scan only specific domains, because I don't know how
> much load I get on the clamav-server. Beside of that, I want to test the whole thing with a test-domain.
> With MIME-defang it should be possible to use spamassassin and clamav over the same
> sendmail-milter-interface. Is it also possible to check for spam in every mail

Mimedefang does not call spamd, it has embedded support to include the
spamassassin functions itself.

> (excluding a few trusted networks), and to check for viruses only in a few
> domains (or to-addresses) ?
> Is it possible to implement a LDAP-interface ?

Yes. You can do everthing that perl supports.

> How fast, performant and stable is mimedefang. I have problems with spamass-milter, it crashes every week.

We run Mimedefang with perl 5.8.4 (from ports) in the embedded modus and
it is very stable. No crashes, no unexpected failuers. And  reload of config is
possible without stop and start.

Martin