[Mimedefang] Testing and dictionary attack..

Kelson Vibber kelson at speed.net
Fri Jul 9 14:26:29 EDT 2004

At 09:14 AM 7/7/2004, Net Guy wrote:
>What has been decided:  Do I just drop eMail from whomever that has the
>wrong reciepent, or do I bounce it ( nouser: No user here by that name
>)?  In my limited view of things I see that either could have benefits:
>
>Bounce -> the folks that are real and not spammers know that they screwed
>up the address.
>Drop -> the spammers think that the address works, so the spam lists grow
>with invalid names.

I suggest bounce (in the action_bounce, reject at SMTP time sense).  The
potentially large consequence of losing a legitimate message outweighs the
likely small benefit of polluting the spammers' lists.

I say it's a small benefit because:
- If you're dropping the message, you still need to waste the bandwidth to
make them think you've accepted it.
- Unless you're tarpitting it, it won't slow them down much.
- Many spammers don't clean up their lists anyway.  Heck, many legit
mailing lists don't either.  We get lots of mail sent to long-dead
accounts, some of which I ended up reactivating, watching for (and
unsubscribing from) legit newsletters, and turning into spamtraps.

Kelson Vibber