[Mimedefang] Testing and dictionary attack..

Net Guy netguy at sound-networking.com
Wed Jul 7 12:14:52 EDT 2004

Hi all

Keep up the GREAT work!

What has been decided:  Do I just drop eMail from whomever that has the
wrong reciepent, or do I bounce it ( nouser: No user here by that name
)?  In my limited view of things I see that either could have benefits:

Bounce -> the folks that are real and not spammers know that they
screwed up the address.
Drop -> the spammers think that the address works, so the spam lists
grow with invalid names.

Instead of testing stuff on a live server, I have found that I can use
something like this:
virtusertable:

usera at domain1.com    realuser
userb at domain1.com    realuser
@domain1.com    user at testmail.local

usera at domain2.com    realuser
userb at domain2.com    realuser
@domain2.com    user at testmail.local

which sends all the unknown/incorrect ( usuall spam ) mail to the test
machine.  Now I can play around without messing with the real thing.

Thanks for the wisdom!

todh

--
Sound Networking                        425.290.9663 voice
Suite 106                               425.740.2004 dialup