[Mimedefang] Testing and dictionary attack..

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Fri Jul 9 14:44:10 EDT 2004

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, Kelson Vibber wrote:

> - Many spammers don't clean up their lists anyway.

I was recently at an anti-spam conference.  I met an e-mail admin
who ran a domain that had been inactive for two years.  That is, for
two whole years, the domain "xxx.ca" had NO published MX records, and any
e-mail to anyone at xxx.ca would fail.  (xxx.ca is not really the domain;
I obscured it for privacy reasons.)

Out of curiosity, the admin published an MX record for that domain.
He was *immediately* flooded with 100,000 spams/day.

I believe this settles the discussion as to whether spammers clean
their lists.