[Mimedefang] Off Topic

Mark Suter suter at zwitterion.humbug.org.au
Mon Jan 26 02:04:07 EST 2004

Benjamin,

> I wrote a web based front end to MIMEDefang and
> Spamassassin.? I did most of the core development in
> my spare time after work.? The remainder of my time
> was spent implementing it at a service for the company
> I worked for.? Now I have left the company and they
> say they own the rights to that code.

Unfortunately, they are probably correct.  You could try asking
them to release the code, pointing to things like

    http://www.opensource.org/advocacy/case_for_business.php

Make it clear to them that they are *not* allowed to distribute
the code, as it is based on GPL code.

> Doesn't the GPL from MIMEDefang and Spamassassin apply
> to the code I created, thus it would also be open
> source?? Or does my employer own the code?

If they don't intend to distribute the code, then it can remain
locked up.

> If they do own the code, how can I rework the concept
> so I can release a new version of the code as open
> source?

You should be free to re-implement the ideas, without looking at
your first effort.  Be sure to CYA.  If you are in Australia, I
point you to the Open Source Developer's Agreement developed by
the The System Administrators Guild of Australia:

    http://www.sage-au.org.au/osda/

Yours sincerely,

-- Mark John Suter  | I know that you  believe  you understand
suter at humbug.org.au | what you think I said, but I am not sure
gpg key id 2C71D63D | you realise that what you  heard  is not
mobile 0411 262 316 | what I meant.        Robert J. McCloskey