[Mimedefang] Off Topic

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Sun Jan 25 20:06:43 EST 2004

mimedefang-bounces at lists.roaringpenguin.com wrote on 01/23/2004 08:20:35
PM:

> Question for all:
>
> I wrote a web based front end to MIMEDefang and
> Spamassassin.  I did most of the core development in
> my spare time after work.  The remainder of my time
> was spent implementing it at a service for the company
> I worked for.  Now I have left the company and they
> say they own the rights to that code.
>
> Doesn't the GPL from MIMEDefang and Spamassassin apply
> to the code I created, thus it would also be open
> source?  Or does my employer own the code?
>
> If they do own the code, how can I rework the concept
> so I can release a new version of the code as open
> source?
>
> Any help or direction would be appreciated.

I'm not a lawyer, but I used to work for some...  If you did any work
while being paid by them, they probably own the code.  If you used their
resources, they probably own the code.  If you signed a contract that said
any programs developed during your employment belongs to them, then they
own the code.  If they have a better lawyer, it will end up belonging to
them. <g>

For definitive answers, consult a lawyer of your own.  Let us know how you
make out.

Good luck!!