[Mimedefang] Off Topic

Kevin A. McGrail kmcgrail at pccc.com
Fri Jan 23 21:48:44 EST 2004

My very firm opinion is you are fighting a losing battle.  Assuming your job
was a programming job and assuming you are in the US and further assuming
that you were not EXTREMELY careful to never use any company resources on
the project, there claim is probably more than valid.

SpamAssassin is distributed under the Perl Artistic license, not the GPL I
believe.  However, I'm not addressing your GPL question which IMO is invalid
as well because A) I think Justin is pretty clear with SA that a web-based
front end is simply a alternate way to provide input to the program and
could therefore be proprietary.

Additionally, under GPL, I believe they can use the code internally forever
without actually releasing it.

Put simply, I believe that the company can more than claim they own the
product and you would put yourself in possibly hot water legally if you
publish 1 line of that code and the company actually cares about it.

However, assuming you don't have a non-compete, I will say that I've
developed a front-end for SpamAssassin based on some code from Justin Egland
and I've been extrapolating that code for serious enhancements for
MIMEDefang use.  I'd love to get it going more formally.  Any interest in
redirecting your anger into coding ;-)

KAM