[Mimedefang] rejecting on helo,drive-by-relay,forged_sender,

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Fri Jan 16 13:00:56 EST 2004

mimedefang-bounces at lists.roaringpenguin.com wrote on 01/16/2004 12:30:33
PM:
> I wonder if this can take off, in the face of so many people who
> have grown accustomed to sending legit mail with a sender address
> that has no relation to the account and domain they are using to
> send the mail.  Like my columbia.edu address when I send from my
> home ISP's smtp server.  Like my vanity domain address when
> I send from the ISP that provides connectivity to the hotel room
> I am in today.  Not that I think this widespread "forging" of
> sender addresses is good.  But it is widespread.

As it's been said elsewhere, it won't take off until some of the biggies
adopt it - AOL, Yahoo, MSN.  Then it might catch on.

As for your vanity domain, you should be in control of the DNS entries and
you would add your ISP's mail server.  For your Columbia.edu address, you
would probably need to find a way to deliver that from/through a permitted
sender.  That would probably require SMTP after POP authentication, or VPN
into a trusted network.