[Mimedefang] rejecting on helo,drive-by-relay,forged_sender,

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Fri Jan 16 12:30:33 EST 2004

> Sender Permitted From (http://spf.pobox.com/)is designed to authenticate
> who is allowed to send mail for a domain.

I wonder if this can take off, in the face of so many people who
have grown accustomed to sending legit mail with a sender address
that has no relation to the account and domain they are using to
send the mail.  Like my columbia.edu address when I send from my
home ISP's smtp server.  Like my vanity domain address when
I send from the ISP that provides connectivity to the hotel room
I am in today.  Not that I think this widespread "forging" of
sender addresses is good.  But it is widespread.

Joseph Brennan         Columbia University in the City of New York
Academic Technologies Group                   brennan at columbia.edu