[Mimedefang] rejecting on helo,drive-by-relay,forged_sender,

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Fri Jan 16 13:13:06 EST 2004

> As for your vanity domain, you should be in control of the DNS entries
> and  you would add your ISP's mail server.

This would only work if I know what ISP I am sending from.  That's
why I used the hotel room example.

> For your Columbia.edu
> address, you  would probably need to find a way to deliver that
> from/through a permitted  sender.  That would probably require SMTP after
> POP authentication, or VPN  into a trusted network.

It would require smtp auth, which we implement, and also would
require an ISP that lets me send to port 25 outside the ISP.
Yes, smtp auth could be available at another port, but try and
explain to users how to set a port using the email clients now
on the market.

SFP depends partly on email client design.  I find configuring
clients now much harder and more obscure than it needs to be.
True, if big systems require SFP, things start to happen.

Joseph Brennan         Columbia University in the City of New York
Academic Technologies Group                   brennan at columbia.edu