[Mimedefang] cannot write to bayes_journal

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Fri Jan 9 16:13:57 EST 2004

Am Fr, den 09.01.2004 schrieb Douglas, Jason um 21:25:
> Hi All,
>
> Hope someone can help. I'm getting messages like:
>
> Jan  9 15:14:17 spammail mimedefang-multiplexor: Slave 2 stderr: cannot
> write to /etc/mail/spamassassin/bayes_journal, Bayes db update ignored
>
> in my mail log. I checked and there was no bayes_journal file. So I
> created an empty bayes_journal file and gave ownership to the defang
> user, and chmod-ed to 600 (same as the other bayes_ files).

It does not matter that the file has desired permissions. The defang
user is not allowed to write in /etc/mail/spamassassin at all.

> However I'm still getting the cannot write to bayes_journal messages.
> What am I doing wrong?

You set the bayes path wrongly. Use something like this in
sa-mimedefang.cf:

use_bayes 1
auto_learn 1
bayes_file_mode 0600
bayes_path /var/spool/MIMEDefang/bayes

So the bayes file in /var/spool/MIMEDefang as the defang user is allowed to write in there.

> Jason Douglas
> Network Support Technician

Alexander

--