[Mimedefang] RE: cannot write to bayes_journal

Douglas, Jason jdouglas at municipality.clarington.on.ca
Fri Jan 9 16:14:52 EST 2004

>Jan  9 15:14:17 spammail mimedefang-multiplexor: Slave 2 stderr: cannot
write to /etc/mail/spamassassin/bayes_journal, Bayes db update ignored
>in my mail log. I checked and there was no bayes_journal file. So I
created an empty bayes_journal file and gave ownership to the defang
user, and chmod-ed to 600 (same as the
>other bayes_ files).

I also had to chgrp to defang, it seems to be working now. But what is
the purpose of this file? I'm guessing it is for the auto learning
feature, that it is the learning that will take place at the next
database rebuild. But when does that happen? Is it automatically rebuilt
at some point or do I have to do it manually? And then will I have to
manually set up the bayes_journal file for writing again?

Thanks for the help.

Jason Douglas
Network Support Technician
http://scopicmedia.ca/