[Mimedefang] bad extensions

Matthew Thomas mthomas at biocontrolsys.com
Thu Jan 8 15:30:33 EST 2004

MIMEDefang quarantines only the attachment and replaces it with message
saying that the attachment was removed because it was a security hazard.  So
the sender gets the mail, but not the attachment.

I deal with bad attachments in a few ways.
1) Some I strip out at firewall/smtp proxy and let the modified message
through.  Most of the mails caught here are spam-type emails with bad MIME
types.  I can then use my firewall message to filter in MIMEdefang or
spamassassin.
2) More I strip out in MIMEDefang and let the modified message through.
3) Two or three types I have MIMEDefang drop the message completely.
4) I also have virus scanners running on every machine to catch anything
that might get through my filters.

Regards,
Matt Thomas