[Mimedefang] Old hardware

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Tue Feb 24 17:04:00 EST 2004

I don't know if saying I'm running my domain (and a few others) off a Motorola
Atlas 133MHz PPC604e (IBM AIX by Bull Group for Motorola PREP boards) with 128MB
of RAM would be more funny or more sad - but it does a GREAT job.

(I LOVE IBM's Logical Volume Manager - often imitated, even ripped off, but
never duplicated.)

Bahahaha...

  -Ben

p.s. I know quite a few who bleed on the cutting edge of technology often. I get
great hardware from their castaways..

Kenneth Porter wrote:

> --On Tuesday, February 24, 2004 1:52 PM -0600 "Andrew S. Johnson"
> <andy at asjohnson.com> wrote:
>
>> I had to upgrade my server from the trusty 486 to the K6 last year just
>> to support MD and SA.  Ya, I know that's not exactly bleeding edge
>> hardware, but the price was right (free).  I'm trying to work with what I
>> have.
>

> I hear you. That's about the class of machine I've been running my
> company mail and file server on for the last 5 years (266, not 300, but
> 128 MB of memory, a Dell PE4200). It's done remarkably well for being a
> gutless wonder. I'm just about to retire it. Its replacement is a
> cast-off Compaq Proliant rack server.
>
> With the dot-com implosion, a lot of defunct companies left fairly
> useful computers gathering dust. I have quite a few of those in my
> garage of about this capability. Even going concerns will pay you to
> take away their older machines instead of having to pay someone to
> recycle them. (After all, "the latest version of Windows won't run on
> them!")
>
> I'm also active in online computer gaming, and gamers are frequent
> upgraders. Maybe you know one who's cast off an "old" Athlon motherboard
> because it can't play the latest game. Recycle it into an old "doorstop"
> case and you'll once again have a reasonable box for a low-end server.

Ben Kamen - O.D.T, S.P.
Home: ben at benjammin.net                       http://www.benjammin.net
Work: bkamen at uiuc.edu
gPG Pub Key - http://www.benjammin.net/www/pages/library

* NOTE: Opinions and Views discussed via email are my own and not that  *
* of the State of Illinois, University of Illinois or the Illinois Dept *
* of Natural Resources.                                                 *