[Mimedefang] Old hardware (was: Replacing SpamAssassin with DSPAM)

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Tue Feb 24 16:50:59 EST 2004

--On Tuesday, February 24, 2004 1:52 PM -0600 "Andrew S. Johnson"
<andy at asjohnson.com> wrote:

> I had to upgrade my server from the trusty 486 to the K6 last year just
> to support MD and SA.  Ya, I know that's not exactly bleeding edge
> hardware, but the price was right (free).  I'm trying to work with what I
> have.

I hear you. That's about the class of machine I've been running my company
mail and file server on for the last 5 years (266, not 300, but 128 MB of
memory, a Dell PE4200). It's done remarkably well for being a gutless
wonder. I'm just about to retire it. Its replacement is a cast-off Compaq
Proliant rack server.

With the dot-com implosion, a lot of defunct companies left fairly useful
computers gathering dust. I have quite a few of those in my garage of about
this capability. Even going concerns will pay you to take away their older
machines instead of having to pay someone to recycle them. (After all, "the
latest version of Windows won't run on them!")

I'm also active in online computer gaming, and gamers are frequent
upgraders. Maybe you know one who's cast off an "old" Athlon motherboard
because it can't play the latest game. Recycle it into an old "doorstop"
case and you'll once again have a reasonable box for a low-end server.