[Mimedefang] Old hardware (was: Replacing SpamAssassin with DSPAM)

Andrew S. Johnson andy at asjohnson.com
Tue Feb 24 17:13:03 EST 2004

On Tuesday 24 February 2004 03:50 pm, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> --On Tuesday, February 24, 2004 1:52 PM -0600 "Andrew S. Johnson"
> <andy at asjohnson.com> wrote:
>
> > I had to upgrade my server from the trusty 486 to the K6 last year just
> > to support MD and SA.  Ya, I know that's not exactly bleeding edge
> > hardware, but the price was right (free).  I'm trying to work with what I
> > have.
>
> I hear you. That's about the class of machine I've been running my company
> mail and file server on for the last 5 years (266, not 300, but 128 MB of
> memory, a Dell PE4200). It's done remarkably well for being a gutless
> wonder. I'm just about to retire it. Its replacement is a cast-off Compaq
> Proliant rack server.
>
> With the dot-com implosion, a lot of defunct companies left fairly useful
> computers gathering dust. I have quite a few of those in my garage of about
> this capability. Even going concerns will pay you to take away their older
> machines instead of having to pay someone to recycle them. (After all, "the
> latest version of Windows won't run on them!")
>
> I'm also active in online computer gaming, and gamers are frequent
> upgraders. Maybe you know one who's cast off an "old" Athlon motherboard
> because it can't play the latest game. Recycle it into an old "doorstop"
> case and you'll once again have a reasonable box for a low-end server.

Actually, once I replace my ages old Athlon 1200 w/512 megs with some
dual K8 I've been lusting after for years, resources shouldn't be a problem.
Until then, I have to think lean.  That's why DSPAM looks good, in that it
seems light weight.  I've gotten some good ideas from some other responses
to my posts, so if I do get something going, I'll definately post the results.
The front runner involves mangling mimedefang-filter by adding greylisting
and bumping $hits in a call separate from SA, but I'm hitting walls with both.

I have more questions now than when I started.

Andy Johnson