[Mimedefang] minor upgrade of clamav, email not being scanned...

Lee Dilkie lee at dilkie.com
Fri Feb 20 07:00:29 EST 2004

> Worth saying that the version of clamav in the ports is old
> (0.65), though
> the clamav-devel port is somewhat more current.  It looks like the
> maintainers of the clamav ports aren't quite so active as
> could be hoped
> for.

The clamav-devel port says it tracks the snapshots. I didn't think I was
quite that brave.

Should I be?

> If you up the log settings for clamd you'll find that the
> problem is that
> it's passed a directory to scan.  As that directory is only
> accessible to
> the user mailnull you have to run clamd as mailnull.

I figured as much and things are working now. How do I "up the log settings"
for clamav. I turned on "debug" in the clamav.conf and all it did was report
lots of info when it started up, but nothing when it was running.

But I'm still curious why group permissions wouldn't be good enough to get
this going. There's something I'm not understanding here.

Sorry for the off-topic.

-lee