[Mimedefang] memory leak?

Lucas Albers admin at cs.montana.edu
Tue Feb 10 13:16:04 EST 2004

As Dave Skoll mentioned explicitly.
Don't use the embedded perl with perl 5.6, you need to use 5.8.
This is what I use on a debian mostly stable box, our external mx relay.
Kernel 2.4.23-grsec, with buffer overrurn,acl security enabled.
Spamassassin 2.63 unstable
Mimedefang 2.38 testing
Sendmail 8.12.3 stable
Perl 5.8 testing
clamav .65 stable
(from deb packages from official clam site, not debian site.)

Everything from stable/testing/unstable official debian repositories, via
apt-pinning. (Contact me off list for info on this, as it it OT.)

I have not encountered any memory timesout, although my situation is
differnent.
I only have 500 megs of memory.
I'm using perl 5.8.
It has been churning along for better then a month with no memory leakage.

If it is the mimedefang process that is leaking memory, shouldn't
restarting the process give back the leaked memory?

Jonas Eckerman said:
> On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 10:58:23 +0100 (MET), Andrzej Marecki wrote:
>
>>  I see exactly the same under Solaris! The problem apparently began
>>  when I shifted from MD 2.38 to 2.39.
>
> Just athought (apoligies if it's to obvious):
>
> You didn't tell 2.39 to use the embedded perl as well, did you? If your
> perl has memory leaks, I would expect that to create problems when using
> an embedded perl interpreter.
>
> Regards
> /Jonas
>
> --
> Jonas Eckerman, jonas_lists at frukt.org
> http://www.fsdb.org/

Luke Computer Science System Administrator
Security Administrator,College of Engineering
Montana State University-Bozeman,Montana