[Mimedefang] action_quarantine good messages

Lucas Albers admin at cs.montana.edu
Mon Feb 2 21:40:17 EST 2004

David F. Skoll said:
> On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Scott Ostrander wrote:
>
>> We filter with MD before sending to Exchange.
>> Our Exchange server went south again and lost 1 day of mail.
>> (Accepting but not keeping the mail)
>
>> Management wants me to "Quarantine" good messages for three days.
>
> Management should get rid of any software that accepts and then loses
> mail.  That's a gross violation of Internet standards and polite
> behavior.  Tell them DFS said so. :-)
>
> That being said, just write some Perl code that copies ./INPUTMSG into
> a convenient directory.  Use the $QueueID variable to generate a unique
> filename for each message.  And have a cron job that goes through and
> deletes anything older than 3 days.

Sounds like you need a better disaster program.
We have our exchange store backed up in triplicate, on doubly daily
incrementals to tape and network share. My bet is your is store is corrupt
and you need to do an integrity verify on it.
We live in fear that it will die.
I would just use the tmpwatch script (assuming you are using redhat linux)
to delete items older then n days.

We are moving our external mx servers to be mimedefang+sendmail+clamdscan
machines to buffer against the exchange server dieing, and reduce the load
on it.
The problems is we have 500 clients using it, so an switch is painful, and
takes awhile. (Same boat I assume, we just don't have the man hours to
switch.)

--
Luke Computer Science System Administrator
Security Administrator,College of Engineering