[Mimedefang] action_quarantine good messages

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Mon Feb 2 20:18:18 EST 2004

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Scott Ostrander wrote:

> We filter with MD before sending to Exchange.
> Our Exchange server went south again and lost 1 day of mail.
> (Accepting but not keeping the mail)

> Management wants me to "Quarantine" good messages for three days.

Management should get rid of any software that accepts and then loses
mail.  That's a gross violation of Internet standards and polite
behavior.  Tell them DFS said so. :-)

That being said, just write some Perl code that copies ./INPUTMSG into
a convenient directory.  Use the $QueueID variable to generate a unique
filename for each message.  And have a cron job that goes through and
deletes anything older than 3 days.

Then get rid of the Exchange machine.