[Mimedefang] OT: Advanced Email System

dimon at intellinetinc.com dimon at intellinetinc.com
Mon Feb 2 18:47:12 EST 2004

Quoting "Kevin A. McGrail" <kmcgrail at pccc.com>:

> > I think you misunderstood my idea about that system. The system is not
> going to
> > be distributed as a software!!! That system is just a combination of open
> > source software with web interface. And the code in not going to be
> > proprietary! First I thought to make this system an open source project,
> but I
> > perfectly understand that it would be a threat to CanIT and Mimedefang. So
> then
> > I decided to find a person(s) who is interested in the same thing: to ease
> > administration and support of Mail Systems based on open source software
> they
> > use at their companies, at home, etc.
>
> I maintain a Web-Based Interface for SpamAssassin and because of this, I
> have already gone down this thought path.
>
> A) Regardless of what you call the "system", it is distribution per the GPL
> and the Perl Artistic License.
> B) A web front-end might be considered JUST a alternate input method for a
> program and therefore a non-derivative product.
> C) things like your mimedefang filter would not be considered an alternate
> method for input and you might have to open source your mimdefang filter.
>
> > Our comapny is not software selling company! We provide IT consulting to
> our
> > clients, and it's not forbidden to use open source software to provide
> service.
>
> No disagreement.  It's the fine line between using open source, extending
> it's capabilities and distributing it without releasing the source code.  I
> think you are VERY close to that fine line.
>
> > The idea was to share the development with somebody who will find it
> useful and
> > contribute to the development.
> > I don't want to make this system an open source project (exactly because
> of the
> > reason Kevin mentioned), so that's why I'm writing to this mailing list to
> find
> > somebody I can cooperate with.

First, this system is not only about mail filtering (mimedefang, spamassassin),
it';s just a part of the system.
My attempt is to create universal and advanced Email System, that will give all
of the benefits to users and administrator and will ease administration and
support, while being secure and reliable.

> I think you would raise less ire doing this AS an open source project.

I can do that, but I don't think DFS wil be happy with this. As I said it will
be direct threat to CanIT and MIMEDefang.
If I would make this system open source project, when enyone can access it, I'm
afraid that doing so might kill MIMEDefang, because as David said: "CanIT sell
fund MIMEDefang".
It's a picky situation here. I would do it as Open Source Project, but let's
ask DFS if he wants that.
Right now I'm doing all programmong alone, with little help of my friend from
Ukraine. But it takes a lot of time and with this pace I'll stuck for a long
time.
So the idea was to find a person who needs the same kind of system and can
contribute to the development.
So the system will be kind of open source, but only for those who contribute to
it.

And thank you for your time again.

Best regards,
Dmitry