[Mimedefang] OT: Advanced Email System

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Mon Feb 2 20:21:43 EST 2004

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 dimon at intellinetinc.com wrote:

[...]

> I can do that, but I don't think DFS wil be happy with this.

MIMEDefang was released under the GPL; I accepted the risk that someone
would create an open-source CanIt workalike.

> If I would make this system open source project, when enyone can
> access it, I'm afraid that doing so might kill MIMEDefang, because
> as David said: "CanIT sell fund MIMEDefang".

It depends how good your project is.  There's a certain audience that
would buy CanIt anyway, even if there is a similar open-source project.
And CanIt does have about an 18-month head start on your project, so I
expect it will be a better filtering product for quite a while.

> It's a picky situation here. I would do it as Open Source Project,
> but let's ask DFS if he wants that.

It's up to you.  As long as you abide by the terms of the GPL, I can't
really stop you from doing it as open-source or closed-source.  I just
think you'll find it difficult to do it as closed-source and still abide
by all the software licenses.