[Mimedefang] OT: Advanced Email System

Kevin A. McGrail kmcgrail at pccc.com
Mon Feb 2 17:41:59 EST 2004

> I think you misunderstood my idea about that system. The system is not
going to
> be distributed as a software!!! That system is just a combination of open
> source software with web interface. And the code in not going to be
> proprietary! First I thought to make this system an open source project,
but I
> perfectly understand that it would be a threat to CanIT and Mimedefang. So
then
> I decided to find a person(s) who is interested in the same thing: to ease
> administration and support of Mail Systems based on open source software
they
> use at their companies, at home, etc.

I maintain a Web-Based Interface for SpamAssassin and because of this, I
have already gone down this thought path.

A) Regardless of what you call the "system", it is distribution per the GPL
and the Perl Artistic License.
B) A web front-end might be considered JUST a alternate input method for a
program and therefore a non-derivative product.
C) things like your mimedefang filter would not be considered an alternate
method for input and you might have to open source your mimdefang filter.

> Our comapny is not software selling company! We provide IT consulting to
our
> clients, and it's not forbidden to use open source software to provide
service.

No disagreement.  It's the fine line between using open source, extending
it's capabilities and distributing it without releasing the source code.  I
think you are VERY close to that fine line.

> The idea was to share the development with somebody who will find it
useful and
> contribute to the development.
> I don't want to make this system an open source project (exactly because
of the
> reason Kevin mentioned), so that's why I'm writing to this mailing list to
find
> somebody I can cooperate with.

I think you would raise less ire doing this AS an open source project.

Regards,
KAM