OT: Re: [Mimedefang] Extremism or just leveling the playing field..

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Mon Apr 12 10:00:57 EDT 2004

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004, Ben Kamen wrote:

> I called Ameritech when someone was trying to hack sendmail on my server and
> they did absolutely -0-. Nothing. Nada. Zippo.. the Big Zed.

> They don't care.
> They don't know enough to care.

I don't think that's necessarily true.  I think it's more like they can't
afford to care.  If ISPs had to deal with every single instance of spam,
malware or attempted hacking, they'd go out of business.  The support
costs would be way too high.

I used to try to track down port-scanners, attempted-relayers, etc. but
it quickly got boring and tiresome.  I now see most of that as simply
the "background noise" of the Internet, and only react to large or persistent
threats.