OT: Re: [Mimedefang] Extremism or just leveling the playing field..

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Mon Apr 12 10:13:37 EDT 2004

I reached the same.

Make sure my systems are buttoned down...

Let the ISP's care when other ISP's start firewalling then because they care so
much about hackers on their own network.

And actually, Dave, I don't mean to argue, but the people I talked to probably
couldn't spell TCP/IP... I'm not kidding. I eventually (after hours and days of
bitching) got to 1 guy who had a brain in his skull. A real brain I tell you. :)
He tried the same excuse. "We just don't have the manpower to do anything about
it"... Well geez, bob... I'm GIVING you the IP address... turn on your spiffy
packet sniffer and watch the attacks... YEESH! There whole system is
ubercontrolled for the dynamic users... the users CAN'T get on without Auth'ing
into the system. <sigh> In the case of SBC/Ameritech who's mech's into the
system are so tight (and seeing how much spam I get from them) I would think it
would only be good PR for them to mount some sort of battle.. instead, they do
just the opposite. They don't care.

The ISP my server sits on was prepping a policy to block attackers... especially
at a customer's request...

But now I have my handy blackhole script.. :) Heheh...

Ok, enough of my bitching. Thanks for taking the time to read it. (and give me a
venting outlet!)

  -Ben

p.s. I just converted a friend in Phoenix from Exchange to RH9.0 w/sendmail and
MIMEdefang, etc...etc...

David F. Skoll wrote:

> I don't think that's necessarily true.  I think it's more like they can't
> afford to care.  If ISPs had to deal with every single instance of spam,
> malware or attempted hacking, they'd go out of business.  The support
> costs would be way too high.
>
> I used to try to track down port-scanners, attempted-relayers, etc. but
> it quickly got boring and tiresome.  I now see most of that as simply
> the "background noise" of the Internet, and only react to large or persistent
> threats.
>
> Regards,
>
> David.

Ben Kamen - O.D.T, S.P.
Home: ben at benjammin.net                       http://www.benjammin.net
Work: bkamen at uiuc.edu
gPG Pub Key - http://www.benjammin.net/www/pages/library

* NOTE: Opinions and Views discussed via email are my own and not that  *
* of the State of Illinois, University of Illinois or the Illinois Dept *
* of Natural Resources.                                                 *