[Mimedefang] Extremism or just leveling the playing field..

Daniel Taylor dtaylor at vocalabs.com
Fri Apr 9 08:12:19 EDT 2004

Ben Kamen wrote:

> Boy, as I sit here and watch the spammers try to
>
> A: use me as a relay (same IP, multiple tries)
> B: scan for usernames
> C: try and deliver to bogus names I've used on the net
>
> I would love to have a hook in mimedefang to auto-blackhole these
> IP's... kinda like the greylisting where the entry times out after a
> while.. but after so many misses, the IP gets null-routed...

I have thought about this too, especially when I was watching this poor
sod with an infected machine out in NY hitting me with dozens of virus
e-mails yesterday.
A temporary IP blackhole, say with a variable timeout ranging up to
about a month, would be good. It could probably be done with the
existing greylist code. I don't think I could deploy something like that
at work (yet), but at home it would be sweet.

> I know there's probably ways to do this.. I'd just have to sit down and
> do it.. but don't have the time...
>
> But don't you guys and gals get mad when you see some pathetic loser try
> and bash the doors down to your mail server??

Yeah, just want to route them out of existence.

> Yeesh. I'd like to rub the nose of my local legislative reps in this
> stuff...

Bad idea, but it would be nice to be able to call the cops on folks
trying to break into your servers just like you would if they were
trying to break into your office. But who would you call?

--
Daniel Taylor          VP Operations            Vocal Laboratories, Inc.
dtaylor at vocalabs.com   http://www.vocalabs.com/        (952)941-6580x203