Tuning for Solaris (was RE: [Mimedefang] recommended memory for mimedefang)

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Tue Sep 23 14:23:00 EDT 2003

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Mark Emerle wrote:

> 	Can you further comment on this? I have been running Mimedefang for a
> couple of months now and we do not use a tmpfs for /var/spool/MIMEDefang.
> Recently we have seen errors from Mimedefang "Too many open files"...

OK, a tmpfs partition might help by speeding up processing and
reducing the number of parallel threads.  Also, in the script that
starts MIMEDefang, make sure you have:

	ulimit -n 1024

Normally, Solaris limits each process to 256 file descriptors, which
is too low (way too low...) for the multi-threaded "mimedefang"
process on a busy mail server.  Solaris 9 can go as high as 65536, but
unfortunately, libmilter uses the "select" library call which doesn't
work for descriptors higher than 1023 (unless you go through hoops to
make it work...)

Also, make sure you're running MIMEDefang 2.37.  If you still get
"Too many open files", you might need to start mimedefang with the
-C flag.  This conserves file descriptors by not holding them open
across milter callbacks.

Was that too much detail? :-)