[Mimedefang] recommended memory for mimedefang

John Scully jscully at isupportisp.com
Tue Sep 23 16:05:01 EDT 2003

The tmpfs is a standard "ram disk" using some system memory as disk
space (hence the "temp" part of tmpfs - at shutdown you lose anything on
that "disk").

You gain performance two ways - mimedefang, spamassassin, clamav, DCC
all open, read and close the COMMANDS, HEADERS and MESSAGE files over,
and over, and over...some more then others, but the net effect is a LOT
of disk IO.  A ram disk speeds that up a lot.

The second benefit is that this tmpfs disk IO is not ON your other file
system, and is therefore not slowing down the diskio for the rest of the
system.

We use a mySQL based mail platform and when I moved
/var/spool/MIMEDefang to a tmpfs the database reads and writes improved
markedly.

Some OS platforms do tmpfs better then others - on Linux it is dynamic -
you set it to have a max size of say 100 Meg, but at any one time it is
only using as much as there is in that file system.  i.e. write a 5 meg
file to that "disk" and your free ram drops by 5 meg.  Delete it and
free ram goes back up.

John Scully