[Mimedefang] Load testing was Re: recommended memory for mimedefang

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Tue Sep 23 14:18:20 EDT 2003

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Stephen L Johnson wrote:

> I'm interested in benchmarking some production servers (once they
> arrive). I've been half-heartedly looking for software to do load
> testing of a mail server. But I've haven't found any yet.

> Any recommendations?

I've played with Postal: http://www.coker.com.au/postal/

The mozilla people have one called Mstone that I haven't looked
at: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/mstone/

Unfortunately, Postal sends random text as the message, and this
makes SpamAssassin go a little nuts.  So for real testing,
I take all my archived mail (it goes back to around 1990) and
use shell and Tcl scripts to blast it at the box under test from
several machines.  Luckily, because SpamAssassin is rather CPU
intensive, it's easy for even 2 or 3 mid-range machines to saturate
a high-end scanning box. :-)