SV: [Mimedefang] recommended memory for mimedefang

Kimmo Jaskari kimmo.jaskari at eget.fi
Wed Sep 24 05:45:00 EDT 2003

> Can you further comment on this? I have been running
> Mimedefang for a
> couple of months now and we do not use a tmpfs for
> /var/spool/MIMEDefang.
> Recently we have seen errors from Mimedefang "Too many open files"...

Just a matter of adding to your vfstab file

swap - /var/spool/MIMEDefang tmpfs - yes size=300m

It's in the faq at http://www.mimedefang.org. You probably need to move your
old directory to some other name before you do the above. Size depends on
available memory, of course, and the number of slaves, and the size of
messages you'll allow.... check out the faq.

Since you'll be mucking about in the vfstab file; if you're running Solaris
8 and over, you probably should add options to the other non-swap
filesystems to make it use logging if you haven't already. Last access time
is also pretty redundant (last modified time however isn't).

That can be added by changing the final - at the end of the entry in vfstab.

Instead of

/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0 / ufs 1 no -

change it to

/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0 / ufs 1 no logging,noatime

Don't do this on anything below Solaris 8, though.

--